What sort of information do they collect and store?
The obvious things
- Posts you like, comment, and share
- Frequent login times
- Purchases made on or through the app
The Concerning Things
- “mouse movements”
- “access to your GPS location, camera or photos”
- “information such as, mobile phone number, IP address, connection speed and, information about other devices that are nearby or on your network”
- “data from cookies stored on your device” (these basically are your online habits, previous visits, search history, etc.)
- “We also collect contact information…(such as an address book or call log or SMS log history)”
So how is this information used?
- “We use location-related information-such as your current location, where you live, the places you like to go, and the businesses and people you’re near-to provide, personalize and improve our Products”
- “to develop, test and improve our Products” (In 2014, Facebook manipulated users’ emotions just to see if they could do so. But I guess that is just “testing products” right?)
- “we use face recognition technology to recognize you in photos, videos and camera experiences”
- “We share information about you with companies that aggregate it to provide analytics and measurement reports to our partners”
If you are like us, reading this is very alarming and there needs to be a solution. We are currently working hard to find potentially settings’ changes in Instagram that can better protect you from these abusive practices. Additionally, we are building a report out for Instagram users, so that you all can see what information they have on you. Make sure to continue to periodically check this blog, along with our social media accounts to stay up to date on what we find!
The Unveil Team